COPA and Forums were consulted about this Strategy at an earlier stage and can give an overall welcome to the concept and the vision and priorities set out. It is ambitious and wide-ranging and has a 20-year horizon. Some of the key features are:
- tackles environmental and climate change issues for Transport
- growth of public transport in Wales
- accessible, well-maintained, and managed transport infrastructure
- making sustainable transport choices more attractive and affordable
- improvements to Community Transport as part of the planning process
- addressing Digital Exclusion in information about travel
However, as the Commissioner for Older People has stated there is much to do make the ambitions a reality and for reliable transport options to be available to older people, particularly in rural areas.
In responding, COPA would pose a number of questions about the Strategy:
- What assurance can be given about the future funding of the free bus pass for Over 60s or keeping the same eligibility age?
- Introduction of Road Congestion Charges – will improvements to bus and other public transport be made before charges are introduced (which would mitigate the number of charges levied)?
- Will these measures lead to an increase in accessible bus services and frequency that older people rely on, especially in rural areas?
- How are these plans going to be afforded and resources found post-Covid-19?
We would encourage older people to respond to this consultation by 25 January 2021.
The document gives details on how to respond but you can reply online HERE